September 25, 1997
Grade 1, Reading
| Home Base | SDM Index |
from the district plan)
The roles and responsibilities of a building committee will be:
- To improve the educational outcome of all students.
- To develop its own rules and procedures.
- To receive input from stakeholders.
- To survey stakeholders for goal identification.
- To narrow down goals.
- To create a process to implement goals and plans.
- To obtain final approval for goals and plans from stakeholders.
- To provide coordination of approved plan.
- To evaluate the effectiveness of approved plans.
- To monitor and improve communication among all committees and stakeholder
- To acknowledge and celebrate successes.
Building committee members will have the following roles and responsibilities:
- To participate in the shared decision making process.
- To keep their stakeholders informed of issues being considered by the
- To represent their stakeholder group on the building committee.
- To actively support actions of the building committee.
- To attend all meetings and be prompt.
- To agree to and support a process of decision making. Building committees
shall choose the method of decision making and each member shall actively
support that process.
Each building committee should use the following operational procedures:
- The building committee is encouraged to develop a rotational meeting
schedule to fit the needs of the various stakeholder groups.
- Agendas shall be sent out prior to meetings and should include opportunities
for suggestions from stakeholder groups.
- All meetings shall be open to the public.
- Minutes of meetings shall be distributed to committee members in a
timely manner and be available to stakeholder groups.
- Each building committee shall develop procedures so that stakeholder
groups are informed and their opinions solicited regarding any substantive
- Subcommittee formation shall reflect the goals of the goals of the
- Membership on subcommittees shall be open to all stakeholder groups.
- Building staff must approve policy changes suggested by building committee.
- Each building committee shall determine the method of staff approval.
- The building committee shall develop other operating procedures as
it may deem necessary.